Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tuesday Teachngs - The Letter O

Another week and another letter down in our lessons. You can print out the letter O here.

Words that start with O: Oar, Oregon, Organ, Ostrich, Orangutan, Open, Oscillate & Orange.

For our crafts we focused on Owl, Octopus and Orbit.



For the first craft, we made an Owl by painting the letter O and then gluing on pieces that I cut from construction paper. My son walked around for at least an hour saying Owl, Owl but I think he meant Ow, Ow because he kept looking for the band aids.



Next up was our Octopus. We painted a letter O with blue paint and then he wanted to give it black legs so we cut eight strips of paper from black construction paper and wound it wound the end of the paint brush before gluing to the page. We then glued on two black eyes.



Our last activity was an Orbit. I opened eight markers and rubber banded them all together. Remember that poor Pluto was demoted so now there are only eight planets. We used the eight markers to make a big circle (an O) on our page and then we glued a yellow construction paper sun in the middle of the orbiting planets.

Foods that start with O: Orange, Octopus, Okra, Olives and Onions.



We stuck with the Owl theme and made an owl face snack. The base is a Chocolate Mini Moon Pie, the eyes are banana slices with chocolate covered raisin pupils and the beak is a cashew. My son loved this snack and I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the cuteness factor against the ease factor.

The Attached Mama's Alphabet Craft Collection

4 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog, thanks so much for the O ideas, that's our theme next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clemencia - thanks for joining us! Hope you come around more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There,

    I just wanted to let you know that I chose this idea as one of my favorite! You can read the write up here.

    Thanks for participating in the Ultimate Alphabet Craft Collection!!


    Your fan,
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy - Thanks so much for the recognition. We love the Ultimte Alphabet Collection and we are honored to be chosen. Kids Matter

    ReplyDelete