Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday Meanderings - Banned Book Week

Well another Monday is upon us and that means it is time for Monday Meanderings. Normally, I would link you up with some very cute crafts or snacks but since this is Banned Book Week, I thought I would show you some of the books that have been banned.

Our first link is the American Library Association's list of the 100 most challenged or banned books from 2000-2009.

I personally find it sad that many of those books I have read and enjoyed them tremendously. The sad part is that somewhere there is a kid that will not be able to enjoy the books based on someone else's interpretation of the book. Everyone should be able to form their own opinion instead of some random person deciding for them.

I do believe that there are some books that are not appropriate for my three year old and since I am his parent, I can make that call on a book to book basis. Just because my son is not reading them does not mean I want the books off of the shelves. Each family has to decide for themselves what is appropriate and act on it. I would NEVER feel it is appropriate for me to tell you what to read, watch or eat. That is the right of every person to decide for themselves or their child.

Just glancing over the list I can assure you that we own all of the series in #1, I have read all of #13-#19 and #21 is one of my all time favorite books and movies. I read To Kill a Mockingbird about every other year.

Here is a list of banned children's books provided by Illinois Library. I can tell you that there are several books on this list that we own in our home or have checked out at our public library. I do not feel they have caused any damage to my child, they have enriched his life with language and illustrations just like any other book we have read.

During this week, look over the banned books and see how many of the books that you recall from your youth or see if there are books you already own that are on the list. I then challenge each of you to go to the public library and check out some of these books and make up your own mind: "Are they so bad that they have to be banned or is someone blowing the whole thing out of proportion?"

Have a great literary week.

No comments:

Post a Comment