Friday, September 27, 2013

Sometimes It May Be Better To Disregard Signs

BA @ Kids Matter

Recently, I was on vacation in Florida.  I love visiting my son, going to the beach, and getting out and sightseeing.  Photography is also a hobby of mine.  I like to take pictures of my family, people, and nature.  But, I also like quirky and interesting things. 
One day we were on our way to my favorite restaurant, at a local fish camp, when I spotted something of which I just had to take a picture!  We were driving on a relatively congested street and there it was, right in the middle of a busy intersection.  It was not a family member, an interesting person, a beautiful Florida flamingo, not even a seagull.  It was just a black and white sign.  Why would I take a picture of a sign?  As soon as I saw it I knew there was a “blog” idea behind that simple message!
The plain black letters on a white sign, including a phone number, simply read:
“Need a Babysitter?   Safe – Reliable   Background Investigated”
Now, I am quite sure that hundreds of people pass that sign on a daily basis.  How many of them have thought about it?  Has anyone called the number?  Could someone truly think that this would be an appropriate way to choose a caregiver for their child?  If so, that parent could definitely use some education on how to choose quality care.   Another sign should be erected in the same location that says:
“Looking for Quality Child Care?  Call your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency!”
I have worked for the Child Care Council of Kentucky (CCC), a local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (CCR&R), since 1997.  A CCR&R is a great educational resource for parents and guardians. Local staff can provide an abundance of information on how to choose quality child care. Check out the CCC and parent resources on our website at http://cccofky.com/.  There are agencies of this type all across America.  To find one near you, simply do an online search for Child Care Aware (a national resource for parents). Make an educated, smart choice when choosing care for your child. It’s one of the most important decisions a parent or guardian makes.                                                                                                   
It may be best to disregard those signs at busy intersections!

No comments:

Post a Comment