Top 10 Toddler to Preschooler Series
Educational Videos (Part 2 of 4)
Belinda @ Kids Matter
This week we take a look at the top 10 online educational videos for your toddler to preschool aged child. The following list was composed by choosing the most entertaining video from several different categories to illustrate the depth which learning spans. The most important thing to get out of the videos is that they are doors to open and go exploring with your child. There is no limit to learning. If one method doesn’t work, then another one will. Be mindful that learning must be fun; otherwise it becomes work that the child doesn’t have the mindset to continue. Always practice the four “Ls” with your child… Live, Love, Laugh, and Learn.
1. Preschool Curious George Book and Workout Video: This is an awesome video that promotes two very important venues for our children… literacy and fitness. Combining the two with a common theme brings new life to them. Just imagine how much fun your child will have following Curious George through a book and then exercising right along with him. Books can open up a whole new way of teaching as you carry the theme throughout the day. How about drinking a nice tall glass of grape juice like Curious George? The possibilities of exciting a child about reading and exercising grow exponentially when you make it a themed event.
2. For Toddlers - Learning Animals, An Educational Video for Preschoolers - This is an interesting methodology of teaching different animals. The video starts by asking, “What’s that?” directly followed by the name of the animal or insect then is followed by a cartoon image of the animal which transitions to a video of the animal in its natural surroundings. This is a good tool to show the little ones the difference between real and not real, i.e., one has the ability to move, eat, sleep, and make all kinds of funny sounds while the other is merely a pretty picture.
3. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed Nursery Rhyme - Cartoon: This is a classic song about the five little monkeys presented in a colorful setting to a sweet tune. Little ones will love this version and parents will carry the tune around all day. This video teaches counting one through five in a whimsical manner that keeps the children entertained.
4. "Color Songs Collection Vol. 1" - Learn Colors, Teach Colours, Baby: This video teaches colors through sing song melodies, chants, and colorful animation. It is a little on the lengthy side, so you will have to remember to monitor computer time.
5. Phonics Song 2: This video is designed to teach children the alphabet through phonetics (sounding out the word), brightly colored pictures, and an alphabet song. It shows the child the letter (capital and lower case), a picture and its matching word, and places emphasis on the first letter of the word during pronunciation.
6. The Calendar Song - Kids + Children Learn English Songs: This video takes a unique approach at teaching children the months and seasons of the year as well as the days of the week through the ice cream song.
7. The Shapes Song: This video teaches children the basic shapes. What’s cool about this video is that it points out the shapes in everyday life. Take for instance a triangle… the roof is a triangle. This could lead to an exciting game of find the shapes in your own home.
8. Adventures from the Book of Virtues: Respect: It’s never too soon to introduce manners. This is a great series for teaching children how to be good people. Remember, pointing out bad behavior isn’t enough… they need examples of good behavior. “The Adventures from the Book of Virtues” series ventures into responsibility, honesty, self-discipline, and courage to name a few.
9. Opposites - Opposites Songs for Children - Kids Songs by The Learning: This video is a very cute introduction of opposites. Children are entertained by the song while seeing why and how something is opposite. The idea of seeing how something (up) can have an opposite (down) is very thought inspiring.10. Milk Explosion Toddler Science Fun: Who doesn’t love a good science experiment? This video is just the door you need to open for scientific exploration. Notice how the effects start to happen quicker when the child shakes the third tin? Or how the reaction time with the color red is much quicker? Science is so fascinating and your child will just love doing experiments.